Butter garlic naan is a soft Indian bread garnished with lots of chopped garlic and is infused with the garlic flavor.It is most often accompanied with the North Indian gravy.I prepared Butter Chicken and Tandoori murg with this which is a very good combination.Traditionally it is baked in an Indian oven called as Tandoor. But it is mostly found only in restaurants or in North India especially Punjabi homes.
Recipe adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor
Refined flour(maida)- 2 cups
Butter- 3 tbsp
Baking powder- 1/2 tsp
Soda bicarbonate-1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Fresh coriander leaves- a few springs
Milk- 1/2 cup
Yogurt- 1 tbsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
- Sieve flour, leaving some aside for dusting, with baking powder, soda bicarbonate and salt.
- Peel and wash garlic.
- Grind 9 cloves of garlic to a fine paste.
- Chop the remaining finely.
- Clean, wash and finely chop coriander leaves.
- Add sugar, milk, garlic paste, yogurt,chopped garlic, chopped coriander leaves to the flour mixture and mix.
- Apply a little oil, cover with a damp cloth and keep aside for at least an hour.
- Punch the dough with your hands to make it soft and pliable.
- Divide the dough into twelve to ten equal sized portions, cover and let it rest for an hour more.
- Melt butter ,flatten each dough ball between your palms, apply melted butter and dust with flour.
- Roll into a ball again and keep it covered for fifteen minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250 degree Celsius.
- Roll each dough ball on a floured surface into a five to six inch diameter disc.
- Pull it from one end to get it elongated shape of a naan.
- Cook in the preheated oven at 250 degree Celsius for 7 minutes.
- You can also cook in a tandoor till the brown spots appear on the surface.
- Remove and serve hot drizzled with melted butter.
- Naans can also be cooked on a griddle( tawa) by moistening them on either side with a little water while cooking.
- I Used a tawa to prepare this naan and lastly I fried it directly on the flame for few seconds.
- I kept the shape of the naan round.
- The original recipe called for eggs which I have not used.