This biryani has a very strong flavor of the spices.The main ingredient of this biryani is Soya chunks which was also known as meal maker earlier.It is a great source of protein and it also reduces the cholesterol level.It is totally pure vegetarian in nature.It is very chunky and tasty.We can prepare various preparations out of soya chunks.
Recipe adapted from:Nita mehta
Basmati rice-2 cups ( soaked for 30 minutes in water)
Soya chunks-1 cup(soaked and drained)
Salt-4 tsp or to taste
Turmeric powder( haldi) – 1 tsp
Coconut milk(ready made)-5 cups or coconut powder- 12 tbsp ( maggie coconut powder- 2 packets) mixed with 3 cups water and 2 cups milk
Lemon juice-3 ½tbsp
Paste (Masala):( makes ½ cup approx)
Garlic- 12-14 flakes
Ginger (chopped)-4 tsp
Cumin seeds (jeera)-2 tbsp
Brown cardamom(Seeds of moti elaichi)- 4
Nutmeg(Jaiphal)- 1/4 tsp (grated)
Coriander seeds(Saboot dhania)-4 tbsp
Black peppercorns(Saboot kalimirch)-8
- For the paste, roast all ingredients of the paste on a tawa/ kadhai/ wok for 5 minutes or till fragrant.
- Grind to a fine paste.
- Use little water if necessary.
- Use coconut milk or mix one packet of coconut milk powder(maggie) with 3 cups of water and 2 cups milk and keep the coconut milk aside.
- Heat 7 tbsp ghee in a deep pan with a well fitted lid.
- Add the soya chunks and boil for 10 minutes on medium flame till soya chunks gets golden brown from various sides.
- Add prepared paste. Fry for about 3 minutes or till it leaves oil.
- Reduce heat, add ½ cup of prepared coconut milk.
- Cook till nearly dry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt,turmeric powder, remaining coconut milk, and the soaked rice.
- Mix well gently and give one boil.
- Reduce heat and cook covered on very low heat for 10-12 minutes or till all the water has dried and the rice is cooked and shut off the flame.
- Sprinkle lemon juice, mix gently with a fork.
- Remove from fire and transfer to a serving plate.
- Separate the grains with a fork.
- Serve garnished with lemon wedges,onions and boondi raita.
Tips:You can add ghee as per you need.
The original recipe called for chicken which I substituted with Soya chunks.
You can also pressure cook this with 1 whistle.
Don’t panic if the biryani seems to be milky,just stir it lightly with a wooden spatula and leave it open for few minutes.