Phirni is basically a popular dessert from North India,originated from the Mughals. It is smooth,creamy and rich in taste.It is a pudding made with rice which is made on most of the festivals especially during Diwali.It is traditionally served in the mud pot or matka which enhances the taste.It has the goodness of dry fruits like pistachios and almonds,cardamom flavored milk and saffron which gives an appealing color.
Recipe Adapted from: Nita Mehta’s cookbook
Milk –3 1/2 cups(700 gms)
Sugar 1/3 cup(slightly less than ½ cup)or to taste
Almonds -4 shredded
Basmathi rice-1/4 cup or rice flour
Kewra essence or1 tsp ruh essence-1 drop
a few rose petals to decorate- optional
- Soak rice about half an hr and the grind very fine with 4-5 tsp of cold water.
- Dissolve the paste in milk and make it very thin.
- Mix the rice paste with the milk in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Cook on medium heat stirring continuously till the mixture is of creamy consistency.
- Add sugar and cardamom pd and stir .
- Simmer till it is fully dissolved and add essence and half of the nuts.
- Pour the mixture in a bowl.
- Decorate with remaining nuts and chill it in the fridge.
- Decorate with rose petals.