Tandoori murg is a popular dish of Punjab.It is famous in Bangladesh,Pakistan and India.It is traditionally cooked in a clay oven called as Tandoor. There is a history behind this dish which one can find in Wiki.My kids love this dish.Though not every household has a tandoor in their kitchen one has the alternatives to prepare this.
Recipe adapted from Nita Mehta
Chicken(800 gm)- 1 medium sized ,cut into 12 pieces
Red chilli powder-1/2 tsp
Curds- 1cup,hang it in a muslin cloth for 30 minutes
Garlic paste-1tbsp or 8-10 flakes of garlic-crushed to a paste
Ginger paste-1tsp or 1/2 piece of ginger-crushed to a paste
Kasoori methi ( dried fenugreek leaves)-1 tbsp
Few drops of orange red colour
Kala namak(black salt)-1/2tsp
- For the marinade,mix hung curd,malai,garlic & ginger paste, kasoori methi, kala namak, garam masala and color.
- Rub the chicken with this mixture.
- Keep aside for 3-4 hours in the fridge.
- Heat the gas tandoor(flame should be minimum) or oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Place the chicken on the grill or wire rack(in the oven place a tray covered with aluminium foil, underneath the chicken to collect the drippings).
- Grill for 15 minutes.
- Brush pieces with oil or pour some oil with a spoon on all the pieces.
- Turn pieces and grill for another 10-15 minutes, till the chicken is dry and well cooked.
- Be careful not to make the chicken blackish or burnt.
- Serve it with green chutney.
You can simply marinate the chicken as given and cook in a non stick pan or kadhai in some butter instead of a tandoor.
For this, heat 4 tbsp butter in a pan.
Add chicken pieces along with the marinade. Stir fry on medium high flame till the chicken is brown and crisp.
Lower heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes till chicken is tender.