Chicken ghee roast is a famous Mangalorean delicacy and is a favorite dish of almost every Mangalorean.I was exposed to this dish by my maamu when I was in school,and ever since that I’ve been a very big fan of this dish.This is indeed a finger licking dish.In Mangalore, a restaurant named as Usha then,now Abhiman is very famous for this preparation.It seems the original recipe was introduced by Kundapur Shetty hotel,though I don’t have a proper clue.Normally they serve this dish on a plantain leaf and the aroma of the dish just gets blended to the core.I like to eat this dish with plain rice,ghee rice or just like that.It also goes well with Neer dosa.This dish is on the top of my favorite list and my family loves this too.There are many versions of this preparation which I keep trying whenever I find one. I adapted this recipe from a FB group friend A and modified as per my taste.I have tasted this dish in many restaurants but always end up in Abhiman. We also get ready made ghee roast powders in Mangalore like Chakrika,Aruna,and Shetty hotels too,which are very handy when we are short of time of cooking, but nothing like the preparation with the fresh masala.You may also prepare this dish with veggies like mushroom,potato, baby corn, Soya, paneer etc or seafood like prawns, lady-fish etc.This dish is named as ghee roast because the main ingredient is ghee and it contains loads of calories.So what once in a while if you devour high calorie food?
Fried red chillies-20
Fried short red chillies-6
Coriander seeds 2 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds(methi)-a pinch
Tomato ketchup-2-3 tsp
Bengal gram flour(besan)-2-3 tsp
Ghee ½ cup
- Grind the chillies along with coriander seeds,methi seeds,garlic,peppercorns and onions.
- Wash,clean and cut the chicken into medium sized pieces.
- Take a cooker and heat ¼ cup ghee and add besan and fry for a minute.
- Add the ground paste and fry for 10- 15 minutes in simmer stirring in between.
- Add chicken, salt to taste and masala water(after removing the masala out of the blender add water to it around ½ cup).
- Close the lid and take a whistle and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once the pressure releases open the lid,transfer the curry to a non stick thick bottomed kadai.
- Keep the curry on high flame,add curds,tomato ketchup and reduce the gravy until dry or thick.
- Add 2 tsp ghee,curry leaves and fry further for 5 minutes.
- Lastly add lime juice and stir for a minute and off the flame