Curd rice or yogurt rice is the most popular dish in South India.It is one of the most comfort food especially when you travel, with a dash of pickle ,a complete meal.Curd rice is a very healthy dish and very easy to prepare.For Brahmins,it is an important part of their daily diet and they conclude their meal with curd rice.After having all those heavy food of functions,curd rice is the best companion and very good for digestion.I prepare this dish most often whenever there is leftover rice.Curds has many health benefits.It improves the digestive system and has many more benefits.
Cooked white rice-1 cup
Curds-2 cups(as much as needed)
Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
Split bengal gram dal(chana dal)-1/4 tsp
Cashewnuts-10 -12 bits
Grated carrot-1/3 cup
Coriander leaves-few chopped finely
Green chilly-1 chopped
Long red chilly-2 chopped
Salt –to taste
- Mix the cooked rice with curds in a bowl and add salt,pomegranate,grated carrot,coriander leaves,green chillies and keep it aside.
- Take a small pan ,heat oil,splutter mustard seeds,add curry leaves,cashews,chana dal and red chillies and fry for few seconds on slow flame,off the flame and add hing.
- Season it to the curd rice mixture and give it a stir.
- Relish it with pickle,papad or fried chilly.
- You may also add grated cucumber and finely chopped onion.
- For variations you may add cumin seeds instead of mustard seeds.
- This dish also goes well with bisi bele bhath.(coming shortly)
- Please remember to cool the rice completely if you are using freshly cooked rice.refrigerated rice gives good results.
- Better to avoid overcooked rice.