Dahi bhendi is a yogurt flavored curry seasoned with deep fried ladys finger. Dahi means yogurt and bhendi means lady’s finger.I first tasted this dish at a restaurant named Palki in Mangalore.They serve the best dahi bhendi. Then finally one day I found this recipe in my oldest hand written recipe book and experimented it and adjusted the recipe as per my taste.I have already posted bhendi white curry yesterday.
Lady s finger(bhendi)-1/4 kg
Chilly powder-1/4 tsp
Onion-1 chopped lengthwise
Green chilly-1 chopped finely
Cumin powder-1/4 tsp
Coriander powder-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-a pinch
Oil-1 tsp for temper
Coriander leaves-1 tsp to garnish
Salt to taste
Oil-to deep fry
- Wash ,clean and wipe the bhendi’s until dry.
- Cut it into medium thin slices and apply salt to taste,besan and chilly powder.
- Heat oil and deep fry the bhendi until crisp and brown in colour.
- Keep it aside or you may store it for your further use storing it in a airtight container or you may store it in fridge for a longer use.
- Take a pan and heat 1 tsp oil,splutter cumin seeds and then fry onions till translucent.
- Add green chilly,turmeric powder, coriander powder,cumin powder and fry for half a minute in simmer.
- Lastly add fried bhendi and saute for a second.
- In another bowl beat the curds and salt to taste.
- Cool the bhendi mixture and add it to the curds.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Best served as a raita with the main course.