Dal fry is the best accompaniment for jeera rice or roti.It is the most popular dish of Punjab.And not to forget to mention my husbands favorite dish too. Dal fry can be prepared with other dals like moong dal(split green gram) ,masoor dal(split red lentil) too.To make the dal rich I have added few cashewnuts .At times I even add grated cheese which makes the dish creamy,rich and tasty.And kids will love it too.
Tur dal(split pigeon peas)-1 cup
Ghee/oil – 3-4 tbsp
Cashew nuts – 10-12 pieces
Jeera(cumin seeds) – ½ tsp
Onion (chopped finely) – 1
Tomato (chopped finely) -1
Green chilli (slit length ways into four pieces) -1
Garam masala powder(mixed spices)- ½ tsp
Dhania ( coriander powder) – ½ tsp
Amchoor (dried mango powder)- 1/8 tsp
Red chilli powder- ½ tsp
Long red chillies-2
- Cook the tur dal in the cooker for 2 whistles and simmer for 5 minutes and keep it aside.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan , reduce heat add jeera, when it turns golden , add onions.
- Cook till onions turn brown,do not under cook the onions,brown them stirring continuously.
- Add tomatoes,green chillies and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add dhania powder, amchoor,chilly powder, and garam masala powder and cook for ½ minute and lastly add the dal and salt to taste and take a boil.
- In a seperate small pan heat ghee, fry long red chillies and cashews and season over the dal.