Ciao(Hi)!…..Gnocchi !What in the world is that?Yes ,that was my first expression when I first came across the recipe in the recipe book.But the recipe seemed to be very pleasing and I thought to give it a try soon,and soon added in my cooking wish list.And then last week when I was doing my monthly grocery shopping I was surprised to see the packet of Potato Gnocchi,with a stamped Green dot, on the rack waiting just for me.I decided to take a chance and bought it.Kept it in my pantry for a week and then finally today was the inauguration ceremony. OK let me tell You’ll what it is. Gnocchi is one among the pasta family.Gnocchi is pronounced as NYOH-KEE .The main ingredient is potato.Gnocchi are Italian little dumplings made either with mashed potato and flour,as here,or with semolina.They should be light in texture ,and must not be overcooked while being made.They are like cute little pillows.They are very easy to prepare,though I used a ready made packet in this recipe,I will give the detailed recipe about how to prepare the potato dumplings.I adapted this recipe from Nita mehta’s cookery book and have also gone through few other books and sites.Alfredo sauce is the basic white sauce where the flavor is truly magical.So if you like Italiano ,then this is the dish you must give it a try.I truly hog on Italian treats which suits my taste buds. So until then Buon Appetite!
Ingredients for the Gnocchi dough:
Potatoes-2 medium sized(250 gms)
Nutmeg powder-1/4 tsp (optional)
Pepper powder-1/2 tsp
Melted butter-3 tsp
Ingredients for the Alfredo sauce:
Plain flour-1 tbsp
Mushrooms-3-4 finely chopped
Onion-1 chopped finely
Salt –to taste
chilly flakes-as per taste
chilly flakes-as per taste
Cheese cubes-2 grated
- Bring a large pan of water to boil,add potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart.
- Drain and peel as soon as possible,while the potatoes are still hot but cool enough to handle.
- Grate through the finest holes of the grater to get a very fine paste.
- Mix potato paste lightly with all the ingredients written under the gnocchi dough,knead lightly.
- When the dough is light to touch and no longer moist or sticky it is easy to be rolled.
- Do not overwork or else the gnocchi will be heavy.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts,on a lightly floured board form each part into 10”long roll ,3/4 inch thick ,taking care not to over handle the dough.
- Cut the rolls into 1” long pieces.
- Hold one piece of potato roll with the side placed on the thumb.
- Mark the other side of the piece with the fork,such that you get lines on the top and depression at the bottom with the thumb.
- Boil 10 cups of water and add 1 tsp salt in a big saucepan and drop in about 12-15 pieces of the gnocchi.
- When the gnocchi rise to the surface,after 2-3 minutes,the gnocchi are done.
- Scoop them out,allow to drain,and place in plate,keep covered while the remaining gnocchi are boiling,keep gnocchi covered.
- It is best to consume the gnocchi immediately.
- Method for sauce:
- Heat butter,add onion and mushrooms.
- Saute till light golden brown,add milk gradually,mixing all the time so that no lumps are formed.
- Add all the ingredients given under the sauce,give 1 boil,check salt and remove from fire.
- To serve:
- Add boiled gnocchi to the sauce and serve it immediately.
I followed the recipe from step 12 since I used a ready packet.
A quick glance of gnocchi packet(500gms, Rs225 ),unpacked and then cooked.