Kanda batata poha is the most popular Maharashtrian breakfast.I learnt to prepare it after my marriage, in Mumbai ,through my mother in law.And I was fully bowled the first time I tasted it….kanda means onion, batata means potato and poha means pressed rice or flattened rice.This is one of the favorite breakfast at our place.This is a very healthy breakfast,very easy to prepare and I just love the color the dish and I bet nobody can stop themselves from tasting this wonderful dish.
Thick poha-2 cups
Onions-3 medium sized
Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
Batata (potato)-3 boiled and chopped into dices
Fresh coriander leaves-a few sprigs’
Roasted peanuts(optional)-1/4 cup
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Lemon juice-1 tbsp
- Wash poha thoroughly and keep it in a strainer so that the excess water gets drained out.
- Peel,wash and finely chop onions,remove stems,wash and slit green chillies into two,clean,wash and chop coriander leaves finely.
- Wash and pat dry curry leaves,crush peanuts coarsely.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds,add onions and stir fry on medium heat till they start turning brown.
- Add green chillies,curry leaves,crushed peanuts and continue to cook for two to three minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and saute for a second,add tomatoes and again fry for half a minute.
- Add potato and fry for a minute,lastly add poha,salt to taste,a pinch of sugar and mix well and cook covered on low heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Add lemon juice,mix well and garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- You may relish it with sev,chips,Crispy ribbons or any savories.
You may prepare this dish using either potato or onion.
You may add cumin seeds for seasoning instead of Mustard seeds.
You may also add boiled green peas in the 6th step and cashewnuts in the 5th step.