Malai koftha is a rich and creamy North Indian gravy. It is a Mughlai dish with loads of dry fruits..Malai means cream and koftha means cottage cheese dumplings . Koftha’s can be prepared both, veg or non veg.It goes well with roti,paratha or any rice dishes.I love Mughlai dishes.So for those who love the Mughlai food , this is one of the best dish .
Ingredients for koftha:
Paneer(cottage cheese)-200 gms
Potatoes-3 (boiled and grated)
Carrot-1( boiled and grated)
Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp
Chilly powder-1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds powder-1/4 tsp
Coriander seeds powder-1/4 tsp
Salt –to taste
For the filling:
Cashews –few (10)
Oil –to deep fry
Method for the koftha:
- Mix all the ingredients of the koftha and shape it into oblong shape and stuff a raisin or cashew.
- Heat oil,coat the kofthas with cornflour and deep fry very delicately till brown on both the sides.
- Keep it aside.
Ingredients for the gravy:
Onions – 4(boiled and pasted)
Tomato puree- 1/2 cup(small fruity size)
Chilly powder- 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds powder- 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Cashew paste-1/2 cup
Fresh cream-1/2 cup
Grated cheese-1/4 cup for garnish
Method for the gravy:
- Take ghee in a pan and fry the boiled onion paste until the raw smell goes and the color changes.
- Add tomato puree and fry for few minutes.
- Add all the powders one by one and fry for few minutes.
- Lastly add cashew paste,water or vegetable stock and adjust the gravy and take a boil.
- Add salt to taste and finish it with fresh cream and take a small boil.
- You may also add kasuri methi.(optional around 1 tsp.
- Arrange the kofthas in the serving bowl,pour the gravy over it or vice versa and garnish with grated cheese.
- Relish it with Pudina paratha or bread biryani .
Some of the pictorial presentation :