Methi puri or fenugreek leaves puri is a popular Gujarati snack .It is a crispy deep fried Indian bread with loads of nutrition.It makes a great evening tea time snack.Fenugreek leaves has a great source of iron.Both, fenugreek leaves and its seeds has a lot of medicinal properties.I adapted this recipe from my Fb friend P.Thanks P for this wonderful recipe.
Multigrain atta(wheat flour) or normal atta-1 cup
Bengal gram flour(besan)-3/4 cup
Chilly powder-as per taste(2 tsp)
Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek leaves-1 cup(washed and chopped finely)
Water-to knead the dough
- Mix all the ingredients and knead the dough using little water until you can form a pliable dough (medium,not too soft nor not too hard).
- Heat the oil,roll the dough into lemon sized balls ,roll them into thick small discs like that of normal puris about 3-4 inches in diameter and slide each puri into hot oil and deep fry.
- Use the slotted spoon to deep fry and fry on both the sides until they get puffed.
- You have to slightly press the puris in the centre with the slotted spoon once you drop puris into hot oil so that they puff..
- Don’t roll the puris too thin,it will turn hard and crisp.
- These puris wont get puffed much like that of normal puris,so don’t panic.
- Relish it with hot tea or coffee.