Motte randai as in Konkani means egg curry. Motte means egg and Randai means curry.This is again my Amma s authentic egg curry and is one among my top list. I like to eat it either with boiled rice or ghee rice. Intake of eggs in your daily diet is very beneficial for the health as it is high in protein. Research also says eggs are good for eyes ,improves concentration etc.
Eggs-8 (boiled and slit into two)
Onions -2 (slit lengthwise)
Coriander leaves –to garnish
Ingredients to be fried:
Coriander seeds-2 tbsp
Turmeric – a pinch
Garam masala powder-1tsp( We use Nayaks garam masala)
Ingredients for the masala:
Grated coconut-1 cup
Roasted long red chillies-5
Roasted short red chillies-4
Tamarind-a marble sized
- Heat ghee in a small wok and fry the ingredients mentioned till light brown except the powders.
- Switch off the flame,add turmeric powder and garam masala powder.
- Grind the ingredients mentioned under masala to a fine paste.
- Add the roasted ingredients while grinding .
- Take a pan ,heat ghee and fry onions till translucent.
- Add the ground masala and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add tomatoes and saute for few minutes.
- Add water as much as needed to adjust the gravy,salt to taste and take a boil.
- Lastly add the boiled eggs and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot.
I prefer to grind the masala in the grinder for a fine paste or masala.