100…. century..…Yes, this is my 100th post.I’m very happy that I have reached to this number within one and a half month…….I first tasted quesadilla in Canada, introduced by my sister.In India I got to taste it again when pizza hut introduced it.But on popular demand I had to finally hunt for the recipe and satisfy the craving of my kiddos and myself of course lol , by preparing home made ones.There are several methods to prepare this dish.In this recipe I have prepared tortillas using all purpose flour(maida).You may also prepare it with whole wheat flour or combine both.In Mexico, tortillas are prepared using maize flour or corn flour.Tortilla s are similar to our Indian bread Chapati or roti. Certain dips like guacamole,salsa or sour cream are accompanied with the quesadilla,which I will post in the coming days.Once again I want to cheer ,Hip, Hip, Hurray! for my 100th post.
Ingredients for the flour tortillas:
Maida(all purpose flour)-1 ½ cups
Ingredients for the filling:
Green capsicum-1/4 piece
Red capsicum-1/4 piece
Yellow capsicum-1/4 piece
Spring onions-1/4 cup
Garlic powder-1/2 tsp
Chilly flakes-1/2 tsp
Grated cheddar cheese-1/2 cup (or any)
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients and knead with warm water to a soft dough like of chapati dough and let it sit for 10- 15 minutes.
- Make round balls as big as a lemon and roll it into thin discs like a chapati(may be 7 in circle).
- Heat a iron griddle and fry the tortilla on both the sides pressing in between so that it doesn’t puff up.
- Don’t over fry the tortillas and the recipe says avoid using non stick pan.
- Keep the tortillas covered in a casserole.
For the filling:
- Chop all the veggies finely.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the veggies for a minute.
- Add salt,garlic powder and red chilly flakes.
- Cook until all the juice dries up.
- Now heat a griddle,add little oil and place one tortilla,fry slightly on one side and flip it on the other side.
- Spread grated cheese over the tortilla,followed by the vegetable mixture over the cheese,cover with another tortilla.
- Spread a little oil over the top of the second tortilla.
- Cook until tortilla is light golden brown and cheese melts.
Cut it into quarters and serve it with guacamole or any dip.