Today is the first month anniversary of my space and to make it memorable I thought of baking Zebra cake . This is the third time I’m baking Zebra cake. First time I had baked an eggless version for my birthday, 2nd time for my daughters birthday with eggs and third time its today. Of course my choice is eggless over eggs when it comes to baking but I wouldn’t mind to bake with eggs. One important thing you need to remember while baking this cake is assemble the batter near the oven and carefully place it inside the oven without disturbing. I have explored many blogs to check the procedure of this cake like divyascookbook , Fareedas blog and many others. I thank each one of them.
Milk- 1 cup
Vanilla essence-1/2 tsp
Baking powder-1 tbsp
Cocoa powder-2 tbsp
- In a large bowl beat eggs one by one till frothy.
- Add sugar and whisk until creamy.
- Add vanilla essence,oil and milk and continue whisking until well blended.
- Sieve maida and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Add the maida mixture to the wet mixture little by little and beat till the batter is smooth.
- Take 2 equal sized bowls and divide the mixture equally.
- Keep one portion plain.
- Add cocoa powder to the other.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius(350 degree F)
- Assembling of the cake:
- Grease the 9 inch round tin.
- Scoop 3 heaped tbsp of plain batter into middle of the baking tin.
- Then scoop 3 heaped tbsp of the cocoa mixture and pour it on top of the plain batter.
- Continue this way until you finish both the batters.
- Bake for 40 minutes or till done.
Farida’s important tips:
- Do not stop and wait until previous batter spreads,keep going.
- Do not spread or tilt the pan to distribute the mixture.
- It will spread by itself and fill the tin gradually.
- Do not open the oven for 20 minutes after baking or else the cake will get sunk.
- Cool it completely before u cut.