Falafel is a traditional Arabic food.I was first exposed to this tasty dish by my sister when I had visited her in Canada.After that it has been included in my Favorite list. Falafel is a deep fried ball made out of ground chickpea.Its origin is from Egypt but it is famous all over the Middle East.This tastes like South Indian version of Chatte Ambade(Bengal gram dal fritters).It is best served with tahini sauce or if you serving with Pita pockets it goes well with Tzatziki. It is very simple to prepare and can be a best starter.
Kabuli chana (chick pea)-1 cup
Bread-2-3 slices(powder the fresh bread slices in the blender to get fresh bread crumbs)
Garam masala powder-1 tsp
Coriander leaves-1/4 cup (chopped finely)
Chilly flakes-2 tsp
Chilly powder-1 tsp
White til(sesame seeds)-1 tsp
Garlic powder-1 tsp
Oil-to deep fry
- Soak the chana overnight,drain the water completely and coarse grind it in a blender without adding water.
- Transfer it to a bowl and add all the ingredients including fresh bread crumbs except oil and baking powder.
- Make a dough and cover it with a damp cloth and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Add baking powder and knead it again and make round balls,flatten it.
- Heat oil and deep fry it on both the sides until crisp and brown in color.
- Serve it hot with Tahini sauce or ketchup.