Ghar dudde halwa is milk gourd or Bottle gourd halwa. It is a common dessert served in GSB functions like engagements,wedding breakfast,birthday party etc.Milkgourd is most commonly found in India and is said to be a low costing vegetable.It has enormous medicinal benefits also.Best consumed during Jaundice.My amma had given maximum of this vegetable when I had a jaundice attack in the form gruel,halwa and curries.In Mangalore, it is grown locally and is found in abundance.Usually the local ones are little roundish in shape.Most commonly known as Lauki,ghiya in Hindi. Lauki juice is best for weight reduction too.Look whose talking.Hehe.I served it with Ice cream and it tasted simply the best.
Milk gourd-1 kg (grated,4 cups)
Cardamom powder-1/2 tsp
Saffron- few strands soaked in 2 tsp milk for few minutes
Dry fruits-few, roasted in ghee
Ghee-2 – 3 tsp
- Grate milk gourd and transfer it to nonstick broad pan.
- Cook it until it gets cooked,it will take nearly 30 minutes.
- Check in between while it gets cooked and add water only if needed.
- Once it almost get cooked add sugar and keep on high flame until it becomes dry.
- Add ghee,saffron and stir for few minutes.
- Garnish with dry fruits.