Palakachi patal bhaji is a Maharastrian dish and I had bookmarked this recipe sometime back when my FB friend P had posted in a food group.She had given the link of Chakali where most of the traditional Maharastrian dishes can be found under one roof. Vaidehi bhave of Chakali has a great collection of Maharastrian dishes.Since my hub S and me love the Mumbaiyya delicacies this site is of great help.Coming back to the dish ,it was a superhit and I just loved it.Goes well with rice or roti.Goda masala enhances the taste of the dish ,but since I didn’t have I did not use it, next time will get it from Mumbai .
- Soak the peanuts and chana dal together for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook the soaked ingredients for 3-4 whistles adding 1 ½ tsp salt.
- Wash the palak thoroughly and chop it finely.
- Heat the oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds,add hing,methi,chopped green chillies, turmeric powder and fry for a second.
- Turn the heat on medium and add chopped palak leaves,close the lid and cook for sometime.
- After couple of minutes add besan and mash it with a masher so that lumps are removed and it gets blended well.
- Once the spinach gets mashed well add boiled ingredients,salt to taste, tamarind pulp and jaggery.
- Serve it hot with rice or roti.