Pumpkin koftha,an interesting curry prepared for the theme fest in a food group.My dear friend Nuts shared this recipe with me and it really turned awesome.Pumpkin is the most popular field crop cultivated around the world and has many nutritious benefits too.It is a rich source of vitamins and minerals.It also protects against many cancers.We,Konkani’s even consume its bud,flowers,leaves and it pulp.Pumpkin seeds are very tasty and is great source of protein.My amma used to dry the seeds in the sun and we used to enjoy breaking it open and eat.We use to also have the plant in our backyard and would be happy at the sight when it used to crop.
Ingredients for the pumpkin koftha:
Pumpkin grated-1 cup
Potatoes boiled and grated-3
Bread -3(blend it in the blender to get the crumbs)
Chilly powder-1 tsp
Coriander leaves-2 tsp
Green chilly chopped-2
Besan(garbanzo flour)-1/2 cup
Oil-to deep fry
Ingredients for the gravy:
Ginger garlic paste-2tsp
Garam masala powder-1tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Fresh cream-1/4 cup
Milk -2 3 tbsp to dilute cornflour
Ghee-2 -3 tbsp
- Mix all the ingredients under Koftha and knead it to a dough.
- Make round balls,heat oil and deep fry and keep it aside.
- For gravy,heat ghee in a pan and fry grated onion for 10-15 minutes until it leaves the oil and turns brown.
- Add grated tomatoes,ginger garlic paste,powders and fry for few more minutes till the raw smell goes.
- Add water and take a boil,add diluted cornflour to thicken the gravy and take a boil.
- Lastly add fresh cream and give it a mix.
- Drop in the kofthas just before you serve.
If you desire the kofthas to be soft you may drop it in the gravy in advance.
You may saute the grated pumpkin until dry before kneading into dough.
Squeeze out excess water from grated pumpkin before sauting and preserve the stock for the gravy.
Same kofthas may be prepared with bottle gourd also but you have to saute it.
You may also add cashewnut paste to the gravy if you like it to be creamy.
My kofthas were sticky so I added bread crumbs to adjust the dough and make it firm.