Saboodana kichdi is a popular Maharastrian Breakfast and is prepared mostly during fasting since it is a concrete breakfast. It is often prepared during Monday fasts in Mumbai. Saboodana or tapioca pearls is made out of raw tapioca roots,an underground potato like variety.I learnt to prepare this dish from my Mayi (mother in law) who resides in Maharashtra, so I’m lucky to get a little exposure to Mumbaiyya delicacies.And now this has become my signature dish and my mayi too enjoys my preparation,and that is is my biggest reward.Check the recipe of Saboodana pops too.
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Soak saboodana for 1 to 2 hours until it gets completely soaked,it should be smashed when u press the pearl with your thumb and index finger.
- Drain it in a colander for 2 hours until the water drains completely and refrigerate overnight in an airtight container or may be for few hours for immediate use.
- Heat oil in a pan,splutter cumin seeds,add onions and fry until light pick in color.
- Add soaked saboodana,groundnut powder,salt and sugar to taste.
- Give it a stir and keep it in a slow flame for 15 – 20 minutes stirring in between.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.