This soup is specially prepared with fresh Basil or sweet basil.Fresh sweet basil is best known for Pesto.I adapted this vibrant basil tomato soup from Nita mehta’s cookery book and prepared with slight changes.I found these leaves in the Easy day super market and the first thought came to mind was Basil and tomato soup.I love to devour soup in the evening before dinner and I did devour a big bowl of yummy soup yesterday.Any tomato haters will love this tasty soup.It is better to use bright and red ripe tomatoes for the good natural colour.
Bright red tomatoes-250 gms
Basil leaves-1/2 cup
Olive oil-1 tbsp
Salt-1 ½ tsp
Pepper powder-1/2 tsp
Coconut milk-1 cup,thick
Tomato sauce-3 tsp
Chilly powder-1/4 tsp
- Cut each tomato into 4 pieces and onion into 4 pieces.
- Place the tomatoes,onions,garlic and oil in a pan,cover and cook over low heat for 15 -20 mts,stirring in between,remove from fire.
- Add ½ cup water,salt,pepper powder,oregano and sugar,cool and keep aside.
- Put cooled mixture in a mixer and churn until smooth.
- Strain through a strainer,put it in the same pan and keep on fire.
- Add 1 cup thick coconut milk,basil and tomato sauce,chilly powder and bring to a boil.
- Add 2 -3 cups of water,adjusting the consistency and reduce heat and cook for sometime.
- Serve hot with soup sticks or garlic bread.