I bought one more loaf tin few days back and I wanted to use it very badly.I also had almond essence ready, which my sister had brought from UAE and all I wanted was a good and nice recipe.And lo I found this recipe in Nita mehtas book which looked very inviting.I also had leftover glazed cherries lying in the fridge after I had baked the fruit and nut cake during Christmas time.I had bookmarked this recipe long time back and had forgotten about it completely.And yes, I was very satisfied with the result of the cake and it got over in a jiffy.If my hubby dear S has to praise then it has to be good.The cake is festive enough for a formal tea or coffee.
Recipe adapted from:Nita Mehta
Maida-1 tbsp to coat the cherry and almonds
Sugar powdered-3/4 cup
Baking powder-1 tsp
Glazed cherries-1/4 cup
Almond essence-2-3 drops
- Grease a 8” *4” loaf tin with butter and lay a parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 150 deg C/300 deg F.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder and keep it aside.
- Keeping aside a few cherries and almonds for the top ,lightly mix the rest of chopped fruit(cherries and almonds) with the sieved flour.
- Beat sugar and eggs in a pan with an electric beater until frothy.
- Add oil and beat it further for few seconds.
- Add the flour mixture little by little (to avoid lumps)and use a spatula to mix the batter and mix well.
- Add essence and mix well,pour it into the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle chopped fruits on top.
- Bake in the pre heated oven at 150 deg C/300 deg /F for 40-45 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick at the centre of the cake to check,if the stick comes out clean,then the cake is done.
- Remove the cake out and leave it for few minutes,then slowly unmould the cake and cool it on a wire rack.
- Once cooled completely slice it into pieces and pop it into the mouth.