This was in my list since a long time but wasn’t confident enough to go ahead to prepare this. But today I took the challenge and succeeded. This makes a concrete breakfast or can be consumed for lunch or dinner too. In Konkani they say “gatti khaan”(heavy food). I had it for lunch with palak paneer. I had seen several times in Nilgiris super market, Instant Idiyappam powder , but never dared to buy it . Next would like to try that version too.This is a traditional dish of Gods own country Kerala. Wiki says it is a popular dish of Tamil Nadu too. My son and myself had a competition eating this with Mutta curry(egg curry) during our Kerala trip a year and half back. I came across this recipe in Sailus blog where she gave step by step instructions beautifully.We Konkani s have our own version of Idiyappam which we call as Shevai which I will upload the recipe in the coming days. We have many variations of shevai too. Until then enjoy this dish.
Recipe adpated from:sailusfood.com
Serves: 15 -16 Idiyappams
Rice flour-2 cups
Boiling water-2 cups
Grated coconut-1/2 cup(approx)
- Bring the water to a boil,add salt and ghee.
- Fry the rice flour in simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Slowly pour the hot water little by little over the rice flour and mix it with a wooden spatula.
- Once you can handle it with your hands mix it with your hands into a smooth dough,close it with a damp cloth or lid and keep aside for 20 -25 minutes.
- You may add more water if only needed.
- While the dough is resting grease the idli plates with oil,sprinkle grated coconut in each depression (may be a tsp each) and keep it ready.
- Make a cylindrical shape of the dough and place it into the chakkuli press(greased) or Idiyappam press using the sev impression(mine was a little thick one,you may use thin impressions),close the lid,press it directly on the idli depressions into swirls.
- Steam for 12- 15 minutes and allow it cool a bit.
- Idiyappams or string hoppers are ready.
- Serve it with egg curry ,veg gravy or chicken curry.
- It might go well with sweet coconut milk too.