Basmathi rice-1 cup(I used India Gate)
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Chilly powder-3/4 tsp
Coriander leaves-3 tbsp,chopped
Mint leaves-3 tbsp,chopped
Green peas-1/4 cup,frozen or fresh
- Soak the Basmathi rice in water until the masala is prepared.
- Smash ginger and garlic in a mortar and pestle.
- Heat ghee in the cooker and splutter cumin seeds,cloves,cinnamon,bay leaf and fry for few seconds,add smashed ginger garlic and fry for 3 seconds,add onions and fry until translucent.
- Add tomato puree and fry until it leaves the sides of the cooker or until the raw smell disappears.
- Add chilly powder,turmeric powder,garam masala powder and fry for a minute.
- Add coriander and mint leaves,green peas,soaked rice, Cashewnuts and salt to taste.
- Add 2 cups water and take a whistle and off the flame.
- Once the pressure releases open the lid and mix the rice delicately.
You may also prepare the rice in a rice cooker by adding 2 cups of water,2 tsp ghee,green peas and salt to taste,and then mix it with the masala for a better result.