As kids,whenever my Bombay aunty used to visit us to Mangalore she would get us Mango chundo,Amla Murabba,Dry Amla and other goodies of Maharashtra.Most commonly known as Mango Chunda,it is a mango preserve which can be stored for nearly a year which has a sweet,sour and spicy taste.Gujrathi’s still relish it with Methi thepla..I found this recipe in Divya’s blog and it sounded easy since it was prepared in a microwave.But I goofed up with the recipe,but still moved on and succeeded.She suggested to do the sugar syrup separately and mix it at a later stage but I mixed the sugar with the grated mango accidentally but the result was thumbs up.Again,this is prepared with the raw mangoes.I had a stock of our factory mangoes but when I decided to prepare this,I found that the mangoes were ripening .Then Santoshi came to my rescue and gave me ‘Thothapuri’ Mango and I went ahead with the same.
Recipe adapted from:divyascookbook.com
Raw mango-1 medium sized (1 1/2 cups)
Sugar-1 1/2 cups
Chilly powder-1 tsp
Roasted cumin powder-1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Wash,peel and grate the mango.
- Transfer it into a micro safe bowl and add sugar,salt and turmeric powder and keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- Close the lid and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Open the lid,give it a mix and micro further again for 3 -4 minutes.(Without lid now)
- Check it again,if it is watery,mix it again and micro for a minute and make it dry.
- Once done add chilly powder and cumin powder and micro again for a minute,
- Mango chundo is ready.
- Relish it with dosa,idly,roti or just like that.