Phonsa mulik is a sweet dish prepared with the jack of fruits Jackfruit.Phonsa or ponosu means jackfruit.My husband S had brought the sweetest jackfruit from our factory and I thought Mulik was the right thing to do justice.This is my seasons first phonsa mulik.The taste is simply yum.We can retain it for more than a week refrigerated or at room temperature.I refrigerate and bring it to room temperature when we use it or micro for few seconds.This is my 300th post and I wanted to post something sweet.We always celebrate the happy occasion with the sweet dishes and this time instead of cake I thought this is the best post.This is my Amma’s recipe and she came and directed me.Thanks again Amma.Thank you readers for all your good wishes.
Jackfruit -15 petals
Bombay rawa-1 1/4 cup
Jaggery powder-1 cup
Rice flour-5-6 tsp
Cardamom powder-1/2 tsp
Oil-as much needed to deep fry(I used coconut oil)
- Separate the seeds from the jackfruit petals.(We retain the seeds and use it in the curries)
- Add grated coconut,jaggery powder and jackfruit in the blender and grind it for 2-3 pulses until it is smashed.
- Transfer it in a bowl,add semolina,rice flour,salt and cardamom powder and mix it.(The batter might look thin,don’t worry,only if it is too thin add a tsp rice flour)
- Heat oil in kadai,keep a bowl with little water,dip your fingers in it,take little batter with your fingers(4 fingers joined together) and drop lemon sized balls(abstract) slowly in the oil.
- Use a perforated ladle and fry it adjusting the flame until dark brown on both the sides.
- You may also use a spoon to drop the dollop of batter and then fry it.(I used my hand)
- Fry the Mulik delicately, see that it doesn’t get burnt.
- Please see that the flame is medium and oil is not over heated.
- Once you drop the batter in the oil, don’t disturb it for half a minute and then turn it.