Kori rotti is a Bunt speciality and a famous dish of Coastal Karnataka.It is served with a combination of thin crispy crepes known as rotti which is prepared by grinding rice and a spicy chicken curry which is known as Kori . Traditionally ladies in the Bunt household used to prepare it at home , but now it is easily available in the stores and people buy store bought rottis at a very friendly price . It is served in most of the Tuluvas wedding or receptions.
As a kid my aunt used to take me to her friends place during Marigudi puja , who belonged to a Bunt community,and there they used to prepare their specialities like Kori sukkha,pundi ghasi,Kori rotti etc.The chicken preparation would be done with the Country chicken or Urda koli.And I used to enjoy the sight when they used to enjoy their dinner.Yes,I wasn’t eating then.Those days they used to prepare rottis at home …
I have tried different recipes with this dish . I adapted this recipe from my facebook friend Preethi Mukesh Rao .The gravy of this dish is slightly thin since we soak the rotti in it and relish.Not to forget to mention , this is my son’s most favourite dish and he proves to be a pure Mangalorean boy . I had prepared this dish much before blogging and have very few pictures . Few days back I had posted one more Bunt speciality Kori Sukkha
Byadgi chillies(long chillies)-10-12(roasted in a tsp of oil)
Short red chillies-4-5(roasted in a tsp of oil)
Coriander seeds-2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds-1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1.5 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
Coconut milk-1 cup
Water-1 cup approx
- Heat oil in a pan and roast coriander seeds,mustard seeds,fenugreek seeds,cinnamon until you get a nice aroma.
- Grind it along with turmeric powder,both the chillies,cumin seeds,tamarind and garlic to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- In a cooking pan heat ghee add curry leaves and onions and fry until it turns light brown in colour.
- Add masala and saute further for 10 minutes,add tomato,chicken,salt to taste,sugar, water and cook until done.
- Once chicken is cooked add coconut milk and take a boil.
- Serve it hot with rotti.