Andhra chicken dry is a chicken sukka version of Mangalore. Well, my folks said it tasted like chicken sukka as maam also says it is their version of chicken sukka.Yes,I adapted this recipe from Kudpi maam’s blog.The dish came out to be very good.I slightly reduced the whole garam masala’s as per our taste.
Recipe adapted from:kudpiraj’s garam tawa
Broiler chicken- 1.5 kg,skin removed and cut into medium pieces
Pepper powder and salt to taste
Refined oil-20 ml
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder-2 tsp * see note
Curry leaves- few
Ingredients to be dry roasted and powdered:
Coriander seeds-2 tbsp
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Fennel seeds(Badeshep)-1/4 tsp
Poppy seeds-2 tsp
Cinnamon-1/2 ” stick
- Marinate the chicken with salt to taste,lemon juice and pepper powder for 2-3 hours in the fridge.
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned in the list and powder them as finely as possible.
- Roast onion slices in oil until red in colour and divide it into two portions and reserve one part for garnish.
- Grind ginger,garlic,tomatoes,chillies,coriander leaves,mint leaves along with powder until smooth.
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan,saute the marinated chicken pieces until tender,remove and keep it aside.
- Heat oil,add curry leaves,add the masala and fry until the raw smell disappears and the oil leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the chicken pieces,salt to taste,mix well ,cover with the lid and cook it until done.
- Lastly garnish with brown onions and mix it.
- Serve it hot.
I dry roasted the kashmiri chillies(7-8) along with the other ingredients and then powdered it instead of adding kashmiri chilly powder.