Maida-3/4 th cup
Cooking soda-1/4 tsp
Milk-1-2 tbsp approx(warm)
Ingredients for the syrup:
Cardamom powder-1/2 tsp
Ghee-as much needed to deep fry(1/2 cups approx)
Pistachios- few,chopped to garnish(optional)
Method for the sugar syrup:
- Mix water and sugar together and boil it well,simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder, mix it and off the flame and keep it ready.
Method for the Jamuns:
- Sieve maida,mix it with Khoa and cooking soda.
- It will appear like bread crumbs when you mix it.
- Now add 3-4 tbsp of the above warm sugar syrup and 1 or more tbsp of warm milk.
- Knead it to a soft dough using more syrup or milk to form it into a soft dough.
- Close it with a lid and keep it aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- After the resting time,knead it again, grease your palms with little ghee,pinch balls from the dough and make it into desired shapes like round or longitudinal.
- See that you make smooth balls and there are no cracks.
- Heat ghee and deep fry it one by one or more adjusting the gas temperature.
- Cook it well on both the sides without burning till golden in colour.
- Add it directly into the warm syrup.
- Soak it well before serving.
- Garnish the chopped pistachios.
- Serve it warm or chilled.
- Refrigerate the remaining gulab jamuns.
Some useful tips:
- When you fry the jamuns in ghee keep it on low flame.
- If you see that the ghee is overheated,off the flame,wait until the smoke disappears and then start working.
- If the jamuns are fried on the high flame,it will get burnt and wont be cooked inside.
- Keep turning the jamuns all over with the perforated ladle to fry it evenly.
- When you are frying the jamuns don’t leave the process even for a second.
- You may stuff the jamuns with any chopped nuts before frying.
- You may use oil to deep fry jamuns,but I have not used so far.
- Don’t make the balls too big as they tend to increase their size when they are fried and added in the syrup.
- You may microwave the syrup if it has turned cold.
- Don’t add the Jamuns in the hot syrup.
- The syrup should be just warm,
- I microwaved the syrup for 2 minutes(it had turned cold), later I added the jamuns in the warm syrup and microwaved again for a minute.
- You may also add rose essence or rose water to the syrup to get the rosy flavour.