Baking is always my favourite and to celebrate this great day I baked Jam Biscuits.I followed 2 different blogs for my reference ..The biscuits came out too good.I used cookie cutters and gave different shapes,though the jam was slightly looking like a lava of a volcano,yes slightly it got spread during the baking process,may be the cavity which I did in the biscuit was not sufficient…Nevertheless the outcome was successful… I dedicate this post to all my readers,well wishers and to all the freedom fighters who made this day happen.Happy Independence day everyone. Jai Hind !
Recipe adapted from:Easycooking and Rakskitchen
Original recipe:Divine taste
Maida(All purpose flour)-3/4 cup
Vanilla custard powder-3/4 cup
Sugar-1/2 cup powdered or icing sugar
Vanilla essence-1/2 tsp
Butter-100 g or 1/2 cup
Jam-4 tbsp approx
- Sieve maida,custard powder and cornflour
- Cream butter and sugar powder until smooth.
- Add vanilla essence,curds and the sieved powder.
- Knead it into a smooth dough.
- Pinch walnut sized balls,flatten it by placing it in your palms slightly.*
- Make a small cavity with your index finger and fill the jam.*
- Preheat the oven at 150 d C for 10 minutes.
- Grease a baking tray,place the biscuits and bake for 20-25 minutes or until crisp,brown in colour and done.
- Cool it well and store it in an airtight container.
- My dough turned little sticky so I added 2 tsp of maida and 1 tsp of cornflour.
- I used different cookies cutters to shape the biscuits.
- I used 1/8th tsp to fill the jam and to make the cavity.
- Microwave the jam for 30 seconds to melt,to fill the cavity easily.
- You may use any jam.
- You may also bake the biscuits with only cavity first and then fill the melted jam after baking so that you get a neat result.
- You may bake plain biscuits without the jam too.
- You may roll all the dough evenly about 5 mm thickness and then cut with the cookie cutter.
- You may use any small lid to make depressions in the biscuits.
- Don’t make deep depressions.
- If you are baking without the jam first and then fill it later,try to bake further for 5 more minutes with the jam so that the jam sets and you get a neater result.
- The next time I bake I’ll follow the above point.