Mixed vegetables-2 cups approx,chopped(I used cauliflower,carrot,hog plums,lime)*see notes
Kashmiri chillies-25(you may use normal long chillies or both long and short chillies)
Asafoetida-1tsp powder(I used a big pinch of hing paste)
Salt-1/4 cup approx(I used rock salt/kallu uppu)
Water-1 1/2 cup approx
Mustard-2 tsp,(powder it separately)
Sterilized bottle- 1, to store the pickle
- Wash the vegetables well,chop it finely into square pieces and wipe it well with a dry cloth.
- Mix water and salt, take a boil until the salt dissolves,cool it completely.
- Soak the vegetables in the above salt water.
- Grind the chillies and hing using the above soaked salt water to a fine paste.(Use water only as needed.)
- Transfer the chilly paste into the vegetable bowl,add mustard powder.
- Mix it well.
- Store it in a sterilized bottle.(Glass bottle is preferred)
- You may keep it at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- Better to store in a refrigerator if the climate is humid.
- After a day I store it in the fridge.
- Can be retained until a month.
- You may also substitute hog plums with either raw mango or sorrel fruit.
- I have used 1 small cauliflower,1 carrot,1 lime and 4 hog plums(outer cover).
- You may also add gherkins (tendle) (chopped)
- Hog plums are added for the sour taste.
- A pickle is incomplete without the tangy taste.
- You may also add lime juice(2) instead of lime pieces.
- Use only the outer covering of hog plums.
- Use a wooden spoon for the servings.
- Pickle will be ready after 4-5 days with all the juices and flavors infused.