Long red chillies-15(Roast it in 2 tsp of oil)
Short red chillies-4(Roast it in a tsp of oil)
Tamarind-2 marbles sized
Salt- to taste
Deep fried bittergourd-1 cup(for recipe see here)
To be roasted:
Asafoetida(hing)-2 big pinch(I used Hing paste)
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds-15 seeds
Oil-2 tsp approx
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil and roast Hing and keep it aside.
- In the same oil splutter mustard seeds and Fenugreek seeds and keep it aside along with the hing.
- Powder the roasted chillies.
- Add tamarind,water and grind it to a paste along with the powdered chillies.
- Lastly add the roasted ingredients and grind it further for a minute.
- Transfer it in a vessel,add water,salt to taste and adjust the consistency.
- Take a boil and off the flame.
- Season it with mustard seeds and curry leaves(use the same leftover oil which you used while roasting hing and other ingredients.).
- Cool the masala completely.
- Once it cools add the fried the bittergourd and mix it well.
- You may also add the bittergourd when it is just warm.
- Serve it with the main course.
- Refrigerate it for the future use.