Recipe adapted from:Veg recipes of india
Ingredients for the rice:
Basmathi rice-2 cups(My personal favourite is India Gate)
Saffron-few strands diluted in milk
Ingredients for the gravy:
Mixed vegetables-2 cups,chopped into cubes(I used 1 big carrot,3 beans, 1 packet mushroom)
Ginger garlic paste-2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Chilly powder-1 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tbsp
Biryani masala-3 tsp(I used Everest)
Coconut milk-2 cups or 2 tetra pack
Fennel seeds-10-15 seeds
Ghee-3 tbsp or more
Salt- to taste
Ingredients to be fried for garnish:
Curry leaves-3 sprigs
Ghee-2 tbsp approx
Ingredients to garnish:
Coriander leaves-1 cup,chopped
Mint leaves-1 cup,chopped
Kewra essence-2 tsp(optional)
Plantain leaf-1 to steam full biryani or as much as needed as per servings
Method for the rice:
- I prepared it in the rice cooker adding all the ingredients mentioned under the same.
- You may prepare it in the pressure cooker for exactly 1 whistle.
- Or you may also prepare it in a wide vessel.
- Once the rice is done,immediately open the lid and cool it by separating the rice grains with the help of a fork delicately.
- Powder peppercorns and fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add cloves,cardamom and cinnamon and saute it in ghee to infuse the flavour.
- Add onions and fry until translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and all the powders and saute it for sometime in simmer.
- Add all the vegetables,coconut milk,tomato and salt to taste.
- Add curds and take a boil.
- Keep it on high flame and cook the vegetables without closing the lid.
- The curry will look very thin and watery,but don’t worry.
- Make the curry as dry as possible keeping it on high flame.
- Keep it aside.
Method for the fried garnish:
- Heat ghee in a pan, fry onions until pinkish.
- Add cashewnuts,curry leaves and raisins.
- Fry it until the onions turns reddish in colour.
- Keep it aside.
How to proceed:
- Take the plantain leaf and slightly fold it and microwave for 30 seconds to fade it.
- The above procedure is done so that the leaf doesn’t tear while folding.
- Take a borosil bowl,line it with the plantain leaf with both the ends facing out of the bowl.
- Spread a layer of curry.
- Add a layer of rice.
- Spread the onion mixture.
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Sprinkle few drops of Kewra essence.
- Repeat the steps with final top layer as the rice.
- Close it with the the two ends of the leaf.
- Then close it with a cling film to seal it tightly.
- Microwave for 7 minutes.
- If it is for single serving take a ramekin bowl or any bowl.
- Layer the biryani in the bowl and unmould it on the leaf.
- Close it carefully and arrange the packets on micro safe plate.
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- If it is for only 1 packet,30 seconds or a minute is more than enough.
- You may also steam it in the steamer.
- You may give dum in a wide vessel by keeping the biryani vessel on the tawa for 20 minutes or more.