Well, Mushti means fist and this is fist dosa. Honestly I do not know the reason why the name.But I guess in olden days our ancestors must have used their fist to soak the measure of the dosa ingredients and so the name.Usually this dosa is roasted on only one side.But my kids like crispy dosa’s so I roast it on both the sides.I prefer soft dosa which is roasted on only one side.Best combination with this dosa is red chutney.There are few versions of this dosa and this is one of them.I adapted this recipe from Amma. Initially Amma used to add little grated coconut or beaten rice while grinding the batter,but of recent she follows this recipe,which is easy and comes out very good.I had saved this dosa picture several times and today I found this in one of my album and thought of sharing it.This is a pure GSB delicacy.
Urad dal-1/4 cup or fistful
Fenugreek seeds-1/2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Baking soda-2 pinches
- Soak rice,urad dal,fenugreek seeds together for 3-4 hours.
- Wash it well and grind to a fine batter.
- Ferment it overnight.
- Next morning add salt to taste,sugar and baking powder.
- Add water to the batter and make a pouring dosa consistency.
- Heat a tawa and spread a ladle of batter.
- Once you spread the dosa,smear it with oil or ghee and close the lid.
- Keep it on high flame to get the pores on the dosa for few seconds and lower the flame.
- After few seconds open the lid,higher the flame again.
- The dosa will leave the sides and will be roasted.
- Roast it on only one side,no flipping on the opposite side.
- But if you want you may roast it on both sides.
- Serve it hot with red chutney.