Tukdi is a diamond shaped savoury.This is a spicy version.Few days back when my sister was leaving back to UAE her mama in law had packed her this crispies which she had shared with us too.And it was so crisp and tasty I wanted to prepare it then and there.But then I had to ask the recipe plus sons exam was on board,the schedule was simply tight.But that didn’t stop me in asking the recipe.I immediately called aunty the next day and noted down the recipe.Today my sons exam got over and my culinary journey restarted.I prepared two versions of tukdi, spicy and salted.I often prepare sweet tukdi/shankarpali/biscuit tukdi as kids like it but this version I prepared for the first time and both the versions turned successful. Navaratri and Diwali is almost nearing and this will be one of the best crispy to prepare and share with our near and dear ones.Stay tuned for the salted tukdi.
Chilly powder-1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp,heated
Sugar- a pinch
Baking soda-1/4 tsp
Oil- to deep fry
- Take a broad mixing bowl,add maida,salt to taste,sugar,chilly powder and baking soda.
- Make a dent in the centre and add water as much as needed and make a soft dough.
- Once the dough is almost done add heated oil and knead further.
- The dough should be soft as of chapathi.
- Close it and keep it to set for 15-20 minutes.
- Once it sets,punch the dough again,make lemon sized balls.
- Meanwhile keep oil to heat.
- Roll the balls into thin round chapathi.
- Use a pizza cutter or tukdi cutter and give diamond shape cuts.
- Once the oil starts to smoke,adjust the heat and slide the tukdis carefully in the oil.
- Roast until crisp and brown in colour.
- Cool it and store it in an airtight container.