Sprouting or germinating the pulses is a very healthy procedure.It is packed with low fat proteins.They also contain many antioxidants, enzymes,minerals etc.They are low in calories and best for those who are dieting.I prefer homemade sprouts over the store bought.The common sprouts we do at home is Green gram or moong and Horse gram or kulithu.Same procedure may be applied for sprouting other pulses.Stay tuned for the dishes prepared with the sprouts.
Green Gram/Horse Gram/ any pulse
- Day 1 : Wash the pulses which you want to sprout under the running water.
- Soak it well in water ensuring that the beans are completely submerged in water overnight or for 7-8 hours.
- Day 2 :Drain the water completely in a colander and keep it aside for few hours approx 1-2 hours so that the water drains completely.
- Close it with a plate covering the pulses and which fits inside the colander.
- Place a heavy stone over the plate and keep it in a warm place approx 10-12 hours.
- Day 3 :One will see the sprouts after the given time,tiny cute tails coming out from the pulse. OR
- You may also put the drained pulse in a clean cloth/Muslin or cheese cloth,tie it well like a bundle or potli and keep in a warm place to germinate.
- If you have a rice box you may place inside it.
- Refrigerate the sprouts for further use in an airtight container or a zip-lock bag.