Recipe source for Benne Dosa: Kini’s Kitchen
Urad dal-1 cup
Dosa rice-4 cups
Beaten rice-1 cup
Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tsp
Maida-4 tbsp(Next morning add little water and dilute it)
Baking soda-1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Butter-as much needed to smear the dosa(I used homemade butter)
For the stuffing:
Pepper powder-1/4 tsp,coarsely ground
Salt- to taste
Ingredients for garnish:
Tomato ketchup-as much as needed(you may use sauce of your choice)
Grated cheese-3-4 cubes grated
Method for the stuffing:
- Heat oil and saute onions and mushrooms together for 5-6 minutes adding salt and pepper powder.
- Keep it ready.
Method for plain Benne dosa:
- Soak urad dal and rice for 4-5 hours along with fenugreek seeds.
- Soak beaten rice/poha separately.
- Once soaked,drain water,wash the dal and rice well and grind it with poha very finely until the batter turns fluffy.
- Ferment it overnight.
- Next morning add salt to taste,sugar,baking soda and diluted maida.
- Beat the batter well.
- Heat a tawa,smear it butter and prepare dosa.
- If you are preparing plain benne dosa roast it on both sides.
- Use butter when you flip the dosa on the opposite side.
- Serve it hot with chutney.
Method for pizza dosa:
- Heat a baby dosa tawa or any tawa.
- Smear it with butter.
- Add a ladle of batter,dont spread the dosa.
- Spread tomato sauce all over without disturbing the batter.
- Spread the mushroom stuffing.
- Garnish with grated cheese.
- Close the tawa with a lid and roast it in simmer.
- Open the lid,if the cheese has melted,keep it for 1-2 minutes and then take it from tawa.
- No roasting on the opposite side.
- Pizza dosa is ready.
- Serve it hot with ketchup or relish just like that.