I first saw Chef Vikas Khanna in the show Masterchef season 2 and 3 and has been my favourite chef after that.Last October it was a surprise meet of the Chef at our dear friend Kudpi maams residence when he had come for the shoot of his show for the channel Fox Traveller which got telecasted this Monday.The name of the show is ‘Twist of taste’ and I’m waiting for the Mangalore episode.Until few months back it was only Sanjeev Kapoor in my favourite Chef list but presently I have become a diehard fan of Chef Vikas Khanna.He is one of the down to earth person I have ever met.Simplicity at his best is the best example of Chef Vikas Khanna.
Chef V.K runs a restaurant called Junoon in Newyork.He is also an award winning Michelin starred chef.He graduated from Welcome group of hotel management ,Manipal.Food industry is a wide ocean of knowledge.Everyday is a learning process.While most of them read Novels I love to read recipe books, surfing on net on food styling,learning is an endless procedure that I feel life is very short.If at all I was granted with a wish I would have studied more and more on this subject…
Coming back to the recipe,Khekda means crab and kalimirch means peppercorns.I have used more crabs and have adjusted the measurements accordingly.
Recipe adapted from the recipe book:The Great India Cookbook by Chef Vikas.K
Garlic-6 cloves,finely chopped
Curry leaves-1 sprig
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Green chillies-2,large slit lengthwise
Peppercorns-1 tsp,coarsely crushed
Coriander leaves-2 tbsp,chopped to garnish
Salt – to taste
- Clean the crabs and wash thoroughly.
- Cook the crab in enough water for 6-7 minutes.
- Drain the stock from the crab,retain it and use it as required.
- Heat butter in a pan and saute onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add curry leaves,turmeric powder,green chillies,pepper and salt.
- Mix well and add the cooked crabs and little stock.
- Toss it well until it gets coated with the masala.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.