Dave thori /Chana/ – 1 cup
Coconut -2 cups
Short red chillies -3(roasted in 1/2 tsp of oil)
Long red chillies -2(roasted in 1//2 tsp oil)
Tamarind -marble sized
Yam /breadfruit /jackfruit-1 cup,cooked (optional)
Sorrel fruit /Bimbul – 4-5,chopped
Ingredients to season:
Oil -1-2 tsp
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Curry leaves -2 sprigs
Fenugreek seeds -few seeds (optional)
- Soak chana /thori (for 8- 10 hours) overnight and next morning wash it well.
- Add it in the pressure cooker,add enough water and take 4-5 whistles.
- If it is chana simmer the flame for 30 minutes as chana takes longer time to cook.
- Cook it until done.
- Once cooked add salt and take a boil for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Add Sorrel fruit /Hogplums while you add salt and boil the chana/dave thori.
- If there is more stock retain it for further use.
- Meanwhile grind grated coconut,tamarind and chillies to a medium fine masala.
- If you are adding sorrel fruit or hogplums,reduce tamarind to 1/4th size.
- Add the masala to the cooked chana,add cooked Jackfruit/yam/breadfruit and take a boil.
- Add the retained stock if you need to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
- Heat oil,splutter mustard seeds,add methi seeds, curry leaves and fry for a second.
- Season it to the curry and close the lid immediately.
- Serve it hot with rice.
- While preparing chana ghashi add 2 tbsp boiled chana while you grind the masala,pulse it 2 to 3 times in the end.
- You may increase the quantity of chillies as per your taste.
- We keep the curry mild as we like it that way.
- Adding sorrel fruit/hogplums and breadfruit/yam is optional,as few are seasonal and we add it as a combination during its season.