This is a two in one dish Saru +Upkari=Sarupkari where Saru can be used for the rice and Upkari as an accompaniment.We normally don’t separate the saru and upkari.Chane Sarupkari is often prepared on Friday’s by the Amchi’s as some tradition…. Chana means Bengal gram.Sarupkari is a healthy dish packed with full of nutrients.
Bengal gram/chana -1 cup
Red chilies -3-4,broken into bits roughly
Salt – to taste
Oil- 1 tbsp
- Soak chana for 8 -10 hours i.e overnight in enough water.
- Next morning discard the water,wash it well,add enough water in a pressure cooker.
- Take 3-4 whistles and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Once cooked open the lid,add salt to taste and take a boil.
- Heat oil in a small pan,roast garlic until brown.
- Add chillies and mix it well.
- Season it to the sarupkari.
- You may also add a pinch of jaggery for the better taste.
- You may also season it with mustard seeds,curry leaves,red chillies and hing instead of garlic.