Black Chana(Black whole bengal gram)- 1 cup
Sweet potato- 1 cup,cubed
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Jaggery- marble sized or less
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
Grated coconut- 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
- Cook the sweet potato separately until just cooked.
- Soak chana for 9 -10 hours,wash it well and cook it the pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles.
- Lower the flame and cook for 30 minutes or until well cooked.
- If the chana is of good variety it slightly becomes big and cooks well.
- Add salt to taste and take a boil.
- Reserve the extra stock and use it for further use.
- Take a pan,heat oil splutter mustard seeds,add curry leaves,green chillies and hing.
- Add cooked chana,cooked sweet potato,jaggery and mix it well.
- Use the stock if required and cook on high flame until it becomes thick and dry.
- Check salt and adjust it accordingly.
- Garnish with grated coconut and mix it again.
- Serve it hot with the main course or with poha chutney.
- You may skip adding sweet potato if you do not want.
- You may also skip adding coconut.
- You may also prepare this with Kabuli chana.
- I prepare this dish as semidry consistency,I do not make it too dry.
- You may use the extra chana stock,season it with mustard,curry leaves,hing,red chillies/green chillies or garlic and green chillies/red chillies and use it as a Saaru.