Recipe adapted from : Veg recipes of India
Rice-2 cups( I used Basmathi)
Ginger garlic paste-1 tbsp
Mint leaves-1/2 cup
Coriander leaves-1/2 cup
Pepper powder-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Coriander powder-2 tsp
Red chilly powder-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves-2-3 sprigs
Ghee-3 tbsp approx or oil(I used ghee)
Salt- to taste
Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
Star anise-1 -2
- Soak the rice for 10 minutes, drain it and keep it ready.
- Heat ghee/oil in a pan,saute all the whole spices until transparent.
- Add onions and fry until transparent.
- Add tomatoes,ginger garlic paste,curry leaves,green chillies,half of mint and coriander leaves and all the spice powders.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover the pan and cook the masala on low flame for few minutes.
- When the masala is cooked and becomes mushy add chopped mushrooms and saute for 4-5 minutes further.
- Add rice and mix well.
- Add salt,remaining mint and coriander leaves,water and salt to taste.
- Once the water starts to boil,check the salt and adjust accordingly.
- At this stage you may transfer the mixture in an electric rice cooker and cook it until done.
- Or lower the flame,cover it with a lid and cook it until done.
- I followed the electric rice cooker method.