Recipe adapted from :vegrecipesofindia
Ingredients for the rice:
Basmathi rice – 1 1/2 cups
Bay leaf -1
Star anise – 1
Nutmeg powder – a pinch
Salt – to taste
Saffron milk – 1 tbsp (dilute few strands of saffron in milk)
Water – 3 cups
Ghee -3 tbsp
Ingredients for the birista:
Oil – to deep fry
Ingredients for the curry:
Mushroom – 250 g
Curds -1 cup,beaten
Chilly powder – 2 tsp
Mace strands -2-3
Caraway seeds or Shahi jeera -1/2 tsp
Birista (fried onions) -3/4th
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Ingredients for the layers and garnish:
Mint leaves -1 cup
Coriander leaves 1/2 cup
Kewra essence – 1tbsp
Rose water -few drops
Roasted cashewnuts – handful
Raisins – few,roasted with nuts
Saffron milk -2 tsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp(optional)
Method for the rice:
- Wash the rice and soak it in water for 10 minutes.
- Take an electric cooker and grease the base and the plate with 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Add rice,spices,salt to taste,ghee and water.
- Close the lid and once 3/4th cooked just spread the diluted saffron over the rice.
- Cook until done.
- Dont disturb the rice while it is getting cooked.
- If you are cooking the rice directly cook until 3/4 th cooked and omit ghee.
- Once cooked separate the grains with the fork and keep it aside to cool.
- Heat oil and deep fry the onions in batches until brown in colour without burning it.
- Crush 3/4 of it in a mortar and pestle.
- Preserve the remaining for garnish.
- Keep it aside.
- Crush ginger and garlic in a mortar and pestle.
- Wash,clean and slice mushrooms.
- Heat ghee and splutter caraway seeds.
- Add all the whole spices and saute in low flame.
- Add crushed ginger and garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced mushrooms and saute further for 5 minutes.
- Add chilly powder and crushed birista and saute well.
- Add beaten curds and salt to taste.
- Cook in high flame until mushrooms gets just cooked.
- Add water only if required as mushroom releases water and curds are added.
- Make the gravy thick and keep it ready.
- Take a borosil bowl,add half of the rice.
- Spread the curry evenly,mint leaves,coriander leaves and birista.
- Cover it with the remaining rice and the remaining mint and coriander leaves.
- Spread the saffron milk,kewra essence and rose water over the biryani.
- Add some dots of ghee here and there.(optional)
- Finally add roasted nuts and remaining birista.
- Cover it with a cling film and microwave it for 7 minutes.
- Or you may give dum in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.(Cover with a foil here)
- Or you may give it dum by arranging biryani in a broad handi,covering it with a tight lid, and give dum by placing the handi over the tawa on slow flame for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Please place a heavy pounding stone over the handi or seal the sides with the Chapathi dough.