Its ‘Dosa festival’ in ‘Geeths Dawath’ and I’m enjoying posting different varieties of dosa.Today’s dosa is Aappam with a different version.I have tried various versions of Aappam and have posted 2 versions earlier.This time I adapted the recipe from ‘Oggarane Dabbi’,a Kannada cookery show by Chef Suchitra which was telecasted yesterday.
Aappam is a popular Kerala cuisine.Whenever we visit Gods own country we make it a point to relish its delicacies.Aapam is a favourite at my place especially my son and myself love it to the core.I served it with the leftover egg curry and Andhra chicken roast which made a great combination .It goes well with chutney too.Suchitra served with sweet coconut milk which we prepare with Shevai/string hoppers.
Idli rice – 1 cup
Dosa rice -1 cup
Urad dal -1/4 cup
Grated coconut -1 cup
Beaten rice or cooked boiled /red rice -1 cup
Cooking soda -1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Sugar -2 tsp
- Soak both the rice and urad dal together for 5-6 hours.
- Soak poha for 5 minutes if you are using it.
- Wash the rice well and grind it with poha and grated coconut to a fine batter.
- Ferment it overnight or for 6-7 hours.
- Next morning adjust the consistency to a pouring consistency.
- Add salt to taste,sugar and cooking soda and beat the batter.
- Heat a Aappam kadai,pour a ladle of batter in the centre of the tawa.
- Hold the handle/ears of the tawa and turn it to a circular motion clockwise.
- Keep it on high flame for 3-4 seconds and lower the flame.
- Smear it with coconut oil and close the lid and cook the dosa.
- After few seconds,open the lid,higher the flame.
- The aapam will leave the sides and start to turn light brown.
- Transfer it to a plate and serve it hot.
- Beat the batter after every dosa and repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter.
- Goes well with stew also.