Recipe adapted from :vegrecipesofindia
Ingredients for the bouquet garni:
Caraway seeds-1/2 tbsp
Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
Cloves – 2-3
Cinnamon -2 “
Nutmeg -1/4 tsp
Chopped Ginger- garlic- 1/2 tbsp
Ingredients for the veg yakhni:
Chopped vegetables – 2 cups,(cauliflower,carrot,beans,peas)
Water – 5 cups
Salt – to taste
Ingredients for the pulao:
Rice – 2 cups,soaked for 20 minutes
Ghee – 3-4 tbsp
Caraway seeds (shahi jeera)-1 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – 1″
Cardamom – 3-4
Curds -1 cup
For the garnish :
Onions -3-4 deep fried also known as birista
Mint leaves – 1/2 cup,fried
Cashewnuts – Handful,roasted in ghee
Raisins – handful,roasted
Bread croutons -1/2 cup (Optional)
Method for Yakhni:
- Tie all the ingredients mentioned under ‘Bouquet garni’ in a muslin cloth .
- Heat 5 cups of water in a vessel,add vegetables,salt to taste and bouquet garni.
- Cook it until half cooked,squeeze the bouquet garni and discard it.
- Strain the stock and keep it aside.
- This is vegetable Yakhni which is nothing but vegetable stock/broth.
Method for Pulao:
- Heat ghee in a pan,sizzle caraway seeds
- Add onions and fry until brown in colour.
- Add all the spices along with the ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell disappears.
- Add half cooked vegetables,curds and give it a mix.
- Add drained rice,4 cups of broth,salt if required and mix it well.
- Cook it on low flame without disturbing it for 15 – 20 minutes until it gets cooked.
- Garnish Yakhni Pulao with mint leaves,fried onions and cashewnuts.
- I have also added some fried bread croutons.
- Serve it hot with raita.