As kid I used to dislike many things and it is vice versa now.There were so many dishes I would not even taste .That is a common thing among kids I believe.’Kulithu’ means ‘horsegram’ which is very good for health.There many dishes prepared with this healthy pulse…It is better to grind all the ingredients in the electric grinder for better results.
Urad dal -1 cup
Horsegram -1 cup
Idli rawa -2 cups or dosa rice -2 cups (I used idli rawa)
Salt – to taste 2 tbsp approx
- Soak urad dal for 5-6 hours in enough water.
- Soak horsegram separately in enough water for 2-3 hours.
- Soak rice separately if you are using rice for 3-4 hours.
- Once soaked,wash the urad dal well and grind it in an electric grinder until light and fluffy.
- Grind horsegram to a smooth paste and keep it separately.
- Grind rice coarsely in the mixer if you are using so,
- Mix ground urad dal and rice together.
- Or wash idli rawa add to ground urad.
- Refrigerate the ground horsegram.
- You may also add grind horsegram the next morning.
- If you grind the horsegram in the grinder it will be very fluffy and light just like foam.
- Ferment the urad/rice/idli rawa batter overnight or for 5-6 hours.
- Next morning add salt to taste and ground horsegram and beat the batter well.
- Grease the idli moulds,fill the batter and steam it for 25 minutes.
- You may also put the batter in a thali and steam or on plantain leaf.
- Serve it hot with coconut oil or chutney or pickle.
- Same batter may be used to prepare thick dosa which is called as ‘Doddak’ .