Ingredients to be roasted:
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds -1 tsp
Urad dal – 1tsp
Byadgi chilly -8-10(roasted in a tsp of oil)
Hing paste – a generous pinch
Bittergourd – 2 (Around 2 cups chopped)
Bimbul /sorrel fruit – 2 cups
Jaggery – 2 cups (more or less)
Salt – to taste
- Dry roast mustard seeds until it splutters on low flame.
- Add coriander seeds,urad dal,cumin seeds and roast further.
- Add hing and roast .
- Add roasted chilly.
- Cool the roasted ingredients.
- Powder chilly at first and add the rest of the roasted ingredients.
- Powder it with chilly to a fine powder.
- Keep it ready.
- Scrape the bitter gourd slightly and cut it into two lengthwise.
- Cut into small chunks and wash it well.
- Wash the bimbul and cut it into two.
- Take a pressure cooker add bittergourd,bimbul,salt to taste and jaggery.
- Add water, take 1 whistle and switch off the flame.
- Add the roasted powder,check salt and keep it on high flame.
- Reduce the gravy and make it thick.
- Cool it,store it in airtight container and refrigerate until further use.