Happy New Year dear readers ! Bye Bye 2014 and Welcome 2015 ! Let us all start this year with a new beginning . And since I wanted my first post of the year to be a cake, I will be sharing a recipe of an eggless cake today. I had baked this cake for my Amma’s birthday last December and it came out simply fantastic . Most of us in the house love naked cakes that is without icing or with minimal icing so I chose this cake from Divya’s blog which was in my to do list .
December month was a month of learning .Yes dear readers , I’m happy to
shout announce I completed my basic fondant and gum paste course from one of the best teacher in the world Mrs Subhashini Ramsingh of Fondbites. I have been following her group and work from quite a while from now . And when she announced her Bangalore workshop which was a 3 days intensive workshop I was super thrilled and I enrolled to the course immediately with my family members concern .I must share I was one of the lucky person to have learn’t the techniques from such a great soul .
I was absolutely a zero when it came to fondant . But Subhashini ma’am has made me confident and has given me that push what I badly needed . I believe in self learning and I have self learnt many things but attending a hands on class will make a lot of difference . I would want to attend many more workshops in the days to come . I will make a separate post and post the cake pictures of my workshop whenever time permits ..Until then stay tuned for more interesting recipes .
Recipe adapted from : Easycooking
Orignal recipe : PAB
Flour – 1 cup
Cocoa powder – 1 /2 cup
Instant Coffee powder – 1 tsp
Thick curd -1 cup
Sugar – 3/4 – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1 1/4 tsp
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1/2 cup
Vanilla bean – 1/2 of 1 bean ,scraped ( or use a tsp of vanilla extract )
Chopped walnuts – 1/2 cup
Vanilla bean sugar – 1 tbsp (optional)
Choco chips – 2 tbsp (I have not used )
- Preheat the oven at 200 d.c .
- Sieve flour , cocoa powder and coffee powder .
- In a mixing bowl beat together sugar and curds until creamy .
- Mix in baking powder, baking soda , scraped vanilla bean and beat it well .
- Let it rest for a minute or two until bubbles appear on top .
- Beat in the oil ,add sifted flour and beat it until smooth .
- Pour the batter in the greased tin and sprinkle chopped nuts and sugar .
- Bake at 200 d . c for 10 minutes and 170 d .c for 30 minutes .
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack for further cooling .
My notes :
- I baked at 160 d .c as per my oven setting .
- It was ready by 30 minutes .
- I topped it with some praline .