South Indians love Sar or Saru /Rasam . Each South Indian state have their own specialty . This is a kind of Indian soup . I love to relish it hot in a glass . This is one of the aromatic saru and I’ve been fortunate to relish it since childhood . Now let me tell you ‘ll why the name ‘Naidus Saru ‘ . My Ajja (paternal grandfather ) had a friend named Naidu , sorry I’m not aware of his full name . Aayi (paternal grandmother ) said he used to visit our place often and he passed the recipe to her. Originally this is the recipe of his cook . Ever since that they have been preparing ‘Naidus Saru’ at Amma’s place . I wanted to share the recipe long back and had shot pictures many times . And finally, today I could make it and here is the recipe .
To be powdered :
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Garlic – 3-4
Other Ingredients :
Ghee -1 tbsp
Oil -1 tbsp
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Curry leaves -2 sprigs
Fenugreek seeds – few ( 4 ,5)
Asafoetida powder – 1 / 4 tsp
Chilly powder – 2 tsp approx
Tomatoes – 3 , chopped
Cooked tur dal – 1 cup
Water -2 cups
Salt – to taste
- Crush cumin seeds , peppercorns and garlic together .
- Keep it ready .
- Churn the cooked tur dal well and keep it ready .
- Take a pressure cooker , add oil and ghee and heat it .
- Splutter mustard seeds ,add curry leaves,methi seeds,chilly powder and hing .
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute it .
- Add crushed powder and 2 cups water .
- Take 2 ,3 whistles .
- Once tomatoes gets cooked add tur dal water as much as needed .
- Keep adding water to dilute the dal .
- Use only the diluted dal water .
- Adjust the consistency , salt to taste and take a boil .
- Garnish with coriander leaves .
- Serve it hot with rice , pickle and papad .