Puttu is incomplete without Kadala curry . Kadala curry means black chana curry . This is a very simple yet tasty curry . The recipe was shared to me by my sister Shan. She had shared two recipes out of which I combined both the recipes according to our taste . I did not add whole garam masala nor powder in the curry to avoid strong flavour . This curry came out mild and very tasty . The recipe is a combination of my papa’s sister late Veena akka and my sisters U.A.E neighbour’s . This recipe is a keeper !!!
For puttu recipe click : here
Boiled black chana – 2 cups
Tomato -1 chopped
Onion – 1 , chopped
Curry leaves -2 sprigs
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp , chopped
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Ingredients to be roasted and ground :
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Kashmiri red chillies – 5
Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
Ginger – 1/2 ”
Garlic – 3 -4
Onion -1 small
- Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned in the list until red in colour .
- Cool and grind it to a fine paste .
- Heat 1 tbsp oil , saute onion until translucent .
- Add tomato and masala .
- Saute it for a minute .
- Add boiled chana with stock .
- Add more water if required to adjust the consistency .
- Add salt to taste and curry leaves .
- Take a boil .
- Heat a tsp of oil ,splutter mustard seeds .
- Season it to the curry .
- Garnish with coriander leaves .
- Serve it hot with Puttu .